Friday, February 26, 2010

So Much For Stillness

While Richard is quite content with his hobbies and his house, I’m yearning for action – something to write about. I’ve yet to see the first sign of spring in our neck of the woods; birds at the feeder and snowflakes in the air are all that’s happening around our holler.

Winter is for waiting, but must we be still while we wait? I once tutored a child who could only read while rocking. I understood perfectly, because he reminded me of myself. My mind seems to be focused
only when my body moves, so I’m off to warmer climates where there are lots of things to do.

Scott is participating in the annual Gulf Coast Garden Show with his pool and palm business. I’d love to see his display, and watch him at his work. I may even be able to attend with Gayle who is such an avid gardener that she’s taking a master gardener class. Planning for planting is a great way to beat the winter doldrums. In fact, Mountaintop Mary has already started buying her seeds, even though planting in Coker Creek’s ground is still two months away. I should have such serenity.

Gayle has taken herself off wheat, so I want to make her some beef and barley soup. This was a favorite of her family when I used to fill in as adult-in-charge when she and Chuck lived near me. Chuck has taken up cooking, so maybe I can give him a lesson or two. Perhaps, I can entice him to cut up the mountain of vegetables the soup requires. I can compare his prep cook skills to Richard’s, if I can get him to wield the knife. And he and I can experiment with adapting pasta recipes using rice noodles to accommodate to Gayle new dietary desires.

I still owe Miya a chocolate birthday cake; I hope she’ll help me bake it. And Nicholas is playing Lacrosse six times in this one week-end. I hear he’s very good, but have yet to see him perform. This is my chance to cheer him on. I’m also hoping to use some of the time for planning the springtime retreat in Coker Creek that Gayle and I would like to host.

While Coker Creek is hunkered down I’ll be revving up with lots of tales to bring back with me. I’ve already brought back the beads. If Richard throws the party, and the beads, while I’m down south, we’ll just have to have a repeat performance upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment