Friday, September 17, 2010

More Muscadines

All the grapes seem to grow under the vines and leaves;
I have to crawl on the ground, the fruit to retrieve.
I never met Mamie's man, but he couldn't have been too tall,
Our maybe he sent his kids to pick whenever they started to squall.

I really need a toddler next time that we pick grapes,
Or maybe I could try to train a family of apes.
The only thing that may be a problem with that plan,
Is I doubt that very many grapes would end up as jam.

The toddlers would drop them on the ground and not pick them up.
The apes would sit down on the job and on the fruit they'd sup.
Last year's batch of muscadine jam was a sight to behold;
It was a rather shocking green instead of a burnished gold.

Muscadine Madness was a sad joke of a jelly;
Even Santa wouldn't put that stuff in his belly.
This year I'll know better than to add any color magic;
The green hue of last year's jam was quite literally tragic.

2 comments:

  1. Another great poem! This year I ate my first "Golden Muscadine". At least that's what the man who allowed me to eat some of his said. I think they are a hybrid of some sort - they were larger than the purple muscadines, greenish to yellow color, and extra sweet! As long as you put enough sugar in the jelly - Fred'll put it in his belly. ☻☻☻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muscadines my most favorite 'wild fruit'. I also love the green ones folks have in their back yard. I sure wish we had some in our back yard, the green ones that is.

    Always enjoy the poetry. You must think in rhymes or poetically all the time.

    Mama never made muscadine jelly, none would have made it home. Sounds like you are 'puttin-up' a lot of stuff, as mama would say.

    Last day in LV, leaving this heat!!!!

    ReplyDelete