Monday, November 1, 2010

A Girl's gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do

It was girls and guys night last night at Mel's. Of course, one of the "girls" is almost sixty, and the "guys" are pint-sized superheroes, ages eighteen months and three and a half.But we had fun, never-the-less. I enjoy watching actual boys bounce around the room.

Melanie's little men even had a mopping bumper "car" contest with two Swiffers. They actually got the dried dribbles of their various victuals and libations off the tile floor. The three-yer-old was very careful to inform his aunt, upon her arrival, that the floor was clean. I like a person who reminds others to value their labors, even though I really don't think their Aunt Marjerrie planned to polute the patina of their fresh floor.

Aunt Marjerrie loves to play "dress-up" with her two tiny doll boys, so we did a lot of changing them and clicking photos. Richard used to tell me that I was going to give the grandkids, nieces, and nephews brain cancer with all the flash photography I was exposing them to. I guess family pride is the same generation-to-generation.

Mel and Marj both love sushi, so we told the boys we were taking them trick-or-treating at the sushi restaurant. Marj had come prepared with pre-filled trick-or-treat bags from her future mother-in-law, but we were still lucky that the restaurant provided treat bags in honor of it being Halloween. The eighteen-month-old ate so much junk that he capped our memorable meal with hurling his Halloween into a napkin. Thank goodness, his mama has quick reflexes.

I'm living like a homeless person, out of my van. It's just easier to remain flexible about where I lay my head each night. Richard likes a bit more reliable accomodations, but I love the adventure of gypsying around. When family dynamics begin to get too complicated, I can say, "See you later, Alligator," and head for my van. It was easier when we had an RV parked in the driveways of our friends and family members, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

1 comment:

  1. Ah ha! a quote to remember! quote:"When family dynamics begin to get too complicated, I can say, "See you later, Alligator,"" unquote

    The best I have read it phrased.

    Glad of the good times, but I too think we would prefer the van. Also glad the earlier Halloween was caught in a napkin!!!!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete