Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Temptations of Technology

Now my computer tells me we have worms
That seem to spread like viruses and germs.
Technology is so darn unpredictable;
Why does it have such a powerful pull?
For me it is my infinite university
Where I can study anything for free.
I've made friends that I may never meet,
But they still make my life more complete.

I have been able to help publish a book
Without having to leave my writer's nook.
I can email friends at two in the morning,
And enjoy their replies as day is dawning.
I get a bit spoiled not having to dress,
Or worry when my house or hair is a mess.
I can sit by my keyboard and feel connected
Without the worry of being rejected.

I could have our groceries delivered,
And never have to speak a word.
With writing, nobody can misunderstand
And ascribe evil to the message I'd planned.
The big, wide world comes to me;
Through the computer, everything I see.
But the pleasures of a friendly voice and face,
The wonders of technology will never replace.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you still have it. love the expressions of technology in prose, I don't think I have ever read anything serious about the technology.
    You did good! Love it.
    Take care, Love to Richard.
    Sherry & Jack

    PS. My best to Jack the next time you are in contact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a book here that I bought in an airport on one of my trips abroad called, "The World Is Flat" by Thomas Friedman (also author of "The Lexus and the Olive Tree"). It's amazing what it reveals about our world of computer living, first published in 2005. I'm sure that many of his exciting discoveries are old and out-of-date by now but it was an interesting read. Your work here sums it up.

    ReplyDelete